He graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk (currently the Academy of Fine Arts); he was a student of Stanisław Teisseyre and Jacek Żuławski; he received his diploma in 1958. In 1960 he started to work as a teacher at his alma mater; since 1982 he has been in charge of the painting studio; in 1981-1984 he held the position of vice-rector.
He worked out his own, stable formula of painting. Looking for new motives, he remained faithful to his interest in still life. In the 1960s he painted mainly still lifes, in the next decade appeared passion scenes in his work, in the 1980s he began to work on series of paintings depicting flags, in the next decade – carnival scenes, feasts, processions.